Monday, July 5, 2010

Packing and Goodbyes

12 days until I board my plane to fly to San Francisco.

Right now I am going through the process of packing and saying goodbyes to all of my Orlando friends. Mom bought me a HUGE blue suitcase from Ross for my trip. We measured it to make sure it fits the airline's proper luggage dimensions so that I don't have to pay the oversize fees.

I get home with my new big suitcase and then it hits me, I have to fit my whole life into two 50 lb. bags and one carry on...

I have already filled two garbage bags full of clothes from my closet for goodwill and I have not even got to my dresser yet. This is the second or third time in my life that I have had to purge all of my belongings to start over. Each time I get less and less attached to my material things which is probably a good thing.

But as I go through my closet, memories start flooding my mind...

I pick up the yellow dress from my last Easter brunch in NYC at my favorite Hell's Kitchen French eatery, then the floral orange sundress from the mission trip to Rwanda when we visited the genocide memorial, and finally the satin purple cocktail dress from the Bahamian cruise with classmates when we ate escargot and discoed the night away on a swaying dance floor.

These are not clothes, they are memories. They are memoirs, they are mementos of my life, physical representations of what happened and of where I have been. Photographs. Snapshots. Pieces of my past.

And I am tossing them ALL away so that I can fit myself, my life, into two 50 lb. bags and one carry on.

Call me sentimental but this is a lot harder than I expected.

12 more days.

It seems impossible to say all of my goodbyes in only 12 more days.

5 comments:

Lindsey (Mother Rising) said...

goodbye, love! I like this post. You are a great writer! Now, one post a month ;)

Unknown said...

omg i can't believe i won't see you then :((( i sure do know how hard it is to say goodbyes ...

Debbie said...

I'm impressed that you have time to blog during such a busy transition! Savor these memories! You are very wise to convert these memories from closet space to the blog-a-sphere! It doesn't weigh anything here! ;-)

April Whitehead said...

I agree- you are a great writer!! and Awe, I def remember that purple dress and how HAWT you looked in it:) You were so beautiful! And that was such a fun trip....I loved dancin the night away with you Rach...fun times:) Your right memories are good..and I am glad you have them...good times to remember...keep savoring them...and good luck gettin everything in that suitcase chica ha ha

MellieButterfly said...

girl!!!!!!!! i am so excited for you...and so thrilled that you will be writing about your adventures. and SAD that i wasn't there to "help" you purge your clothes (in to my closet!...you are too stylish to rid of all of them!!!!!!) :) be well and God bless you chica!