Sunday, April 10, 2011

Dreams

Last night I had a dream that I was dating Eminem. You know. Marshall Mathers. Slim Shady. Yeah. It was pretty scary. I think the relationship that we had last night looked a lot like the one portrayed in his music video that he shot recently with Rhianna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uelHwf8o7_U

I've chosen to title this blog "dreams." But, no, not the kind of dreams where you are in emotionally abusive romantic relationship with a rap star. Not the kind of dreams that happen in the strange recesses of the perverted subconscious at night during sleep. (Referring to my own, not necessarily yours, of course.)

I'm talking about the kind of dreams that your mind drifts into during a long, tedious meeting at work or when sitting across the dinner table, bored to death by the conversation. The kind of dreams that tap into something inside of you that longs to live life differently but is met by the limitations and liabilities of your present reality.

These kind of dreams are even more dangerous. These kind of dreams are even more thrilling. These dreams are the kind that you are afraid to say out loud, afraid to admit to other people...

I went on a trip to Paris, France last month. It was my first time. This was a total, reckless act of overindulgence on my part. I never had the experience of backpacking through Europe as a college student or taking overseas family trips growing up. So as a single 28 year old who is in debt from school loans and who recently spent the past two years of her life in an intensive counseling educational program, I was in the PERFECT position to plan a European excursion... burnt out, broke, tired, old and boring.

Perhaps that was an overstatement.

But you get the point, right? I thought that Paris would be the perfect petrie dish for my bruised, burnt out and bored soul. There was something inside of me that felt so weighed down by the limitations and liabilities of my life that I needed a break. I needed to tap into that life source, that deeper place where time and money and physical age and depression disappear and a little girl dressed in a yellow dress with pigtails in her hair emerges...

She is the dreamer. She is not afraid of grandeur. She is not ashamed of triviality. She dreams big. She dreams beautiful. She dreams beyond the physical and the present. I invited her to lay beside me in the grass of the garden at the Musee de Rodin on a warm, sunny day in Paris and her mind soared to places of ethereal bliss.

Dreams come small and large, practical and impractical, poetic and violent. Here are some of the things that she whispered to me that afternoon in the cool grass of the garden...

1. I want to buy an espresso machine so that I can host breakfast parties at my house and make lattes and cappuccinos for my friends on Saturday mornings.
2. I want to fall in love with a man who will play the piano while I lay on top of the instrument, absorbing it's tones through my chest while gazing deep into his eyes.
3. I want to learn how to speak French and move to Paris in my old age after I retire, snacking on fresh croissants and creamy white cheese until I die.
4. I want to shave my head down to the skull so that I can run my hand across my head to see what it feels like.
5. I want a daughter with brown eyes named Julia.

What is the point of a dream? Dreams are sometimes nonsensical. But perhaps the point of dreaming is not necessarily to escape our present reality, to indulge ingratitude or to shame ourselves.

Perhaps we dream so that we can share something so intrinsically transcendent about who we are with others that it can only be captured and communicated through a dream.

The poet Langston Hughes asks us to consider an important question:

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

Readers and friends, please comment here and share with me one of your dreams...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2I5refJec

1 comment:

MellieButterfly said...

Hey girl~I just stumbled across this. Not sure why anyone else hasn't commented yet, but I'm not afraid to be the first. :)

I had a dream of being an actual paid, skilled photographer...that's something that God just surprised me with in the past few months.

I dreamed of overcoming generational sin and dysfunctional marriage relationships in my family...not sure if that one will be realized this go around.

I dream of living boldly in light of sure rejection, and pain and choosing to press on even when it doesn't seem like the most viable option.

Thanks for tapping in to this part of my soul. I appreciate you for that.

And btw, I hear Marshall has made a huge turn around...maybe he's even a believer now. :)